PDA

View Full Version : Why does Tidus bother you?

NeroMD
09-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Okay so basically i've been hearing people whine and complain about Tidus being annoying in FFX and Dissidia.

Do you personally think he's annoying or do you actually like him?

Vaanskylord
09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
I like him alot. He ranked #3 in my top 50 FF characters video. I dont know why people hate him.

MoD
09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
i like Tidus cuz when i first played X i was like finally a happy FF chra :D he is not annoying in Dissidia 2 he is just happy(and a ***** up kid with dad how beat him up every day)
i think it's new to some ppl how played VII and VIII first >_>

@_Tidus_: i would like to see that vid plz:D

Luffy
09-14-2009, 06:37 PM
He is my most favourite character.How can someone hate him i can't understand.

Vaanskylord
09-14-2009, 06:40 PM
i like Tidus cuz when i first played X i was like finally a happy FF chra :D he is not annoying in Dissidia 2 he is just happy(and a ***** up kid with dad how beat him up every day)

Well Zidane is also very upbeat and evern before FF7 we had Bartz who was also very happy and cheerful. Aslo Tidus is very relatable imo. He handles his problems like any other normal human being would.

@MoD: I will PM the videos to you, there are 5 parts.

NeroMD
09-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Zidane was also one of the upbeat character. After replaying FF9 again i find him funny. Especially with scenes that involve Vivi.

Anyway back to Tidus, I remember James Arnold Taylor wished he could redo the voice of Tidus in FFX again because alot of people were complaining about the voice acting.

There are some bad bits with Tidus such as the line "With Yuna by my side." He said it real quick. Alot of people seem to be bothered by the infamous laugh scene, Although it was intended to be an overexaggerated laugh that sounded stupid.

As for the character itself, I understand his situation where he asks too much questions and complains about so many things.

Tidus came in a world he doesn't know anything or anyone, The only person he knew was Auron.

Later on Tidus did mature somewhat and adjusted to the world Spira.
This is somewhat my speculation to Tidus.

Statistic
09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
I at first was very annoyed by Tidus in FF10. But I grew to really like Tidus a lot. He is easily one of my favorite FF characters now. Not only that but FF10 really was a pretty good play. I only had a problem with the grid sphere thing. Only problem I had with the game overall. In fact I am looking into playing it again. XD Tidus and Auron really made this game enjoyable for me in the end.

MoD
09-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Well Zidane is also very upbeat and evern before FF7 we had Bartz who was also very happy and cheerful. Aslo Tidus is very relatable imo. He handles his problems like any other normal human being would.

@MoD: I will PM the videos to you, there are 5 parts.

too bad ppl out said japan did not now bartz before Tidus(nobody get the ps1 FF5 ver>_>)..

and like Nero sad he asks too much questions and complains about so many things cuz he is in completely new world!!!!

not like Zidane

and about the VA he did a great job in Dissidia (dose not care about the VAs anymore)

@Tidus : thankx :)

Vaanskylord
09-14-2009, 07:23 PM
You know at first i thought this topic was about me lol XD.

Kraid
09-14-2009, 07:27 PM
"But I want everything!"
"I need food!"
"HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!"

Do I REALLY need to say anything else?

MoD
09-14-2009, 07:29 PM
"But I want everything!"
"I need food!"
"HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!"

so the only problem with Tidus is the VA??

if it's not the VA... but i liked what he says?? D:

ssjkiego
09-14-2009, 07:31 PM
"But I want everything!"
"I need food!"
"HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!"

Give me a break Kraid, You would have said the same thing after getting almost eaten by a huge fish.

Vaanskylord
09-14-2009, 07:34 PM

Actually Tidus's voice is superb, i guess JAT just had a hard time delivering the lines while making sure the lip syncing was on point. I never have a problem with voice acting unless it is utterly horrible, which usually isnt the case.

MoD
09-14-2009, 07:48 PM
yea i liked his voice (don't real care about VA but i liked it :)

Amphoric
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I dont hate Tidus, I just find him annoying at times, but its because of bad voice acting (when he yells and laughs, etc.), if its muted, hes fine haha :) When he talks normally hes fine too, while fighting, etc.

Khriox
09-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I think James Arnold Taylor did a wonderful job with Tidus.

To hell with anyone who thinks otherwise :P

Morendo
09-14-2009, 09:39 PM
"But I want everything!"
"I need food!"
"HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW!"

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/RikkuInTheMiddle/Tidus_1.jpg

MoD
09-14-2009, 09:47 PM
lol run Kraid RUN!!! Tidus will get u :p

ColdRoxas
09-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I loved Tidus' personality. You'd get so exited when a cutscene comes up with him in it (Like every cutscene), because you just want to be around him.

pheano
09-15-2009, 01:44 AM
i like him
hes not my favorite character but he is the best protagonist in final fantasy

Kite
09-15-2009, 02:07 AM
He doesnt bother me, but the scene with him and Yuna laughing was really awkward.

pheano
09-15-2009, 02:09 AM
He doesnt bother me, but the scene with him and Yuna laughing was really awkward.

which one was that?
when he was having them both laugh really loud?

Kite
09-15-2009, 02:10 AM
Yep, I dont think a normal person does that

pheano
09-15-2009, 02:13 AM
Yep, I dont think a normal person does that

its was a plot device
i forget exactly what cause i played it so long ago

Aevitas
09-15-2009, 04:22 AM
YouTube - Tidus and Yuna Laughing Scene (English version)

Yea.. didn't get less awkward for me seeing this again several years later. ^^;;..

TWOxACROSS
09-15-2009, 06:36 AM
I liked Tidus because he narrated his story. It made him seem much more involved in the series beyond just being a main character.

He was very flawed as a person, but he also had the very normal way of interacting with people, which balanced out a lot of his shortcomings.

And it was nice to see a jock who wasn't a complete dickhole.

Crono
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Coz he looks like an Asian yet he has blonde hair, wth... Jologs!

WhiteHowl
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
I liked Tidus because he narrated his story. It made him seem much more involved in the series beyond just being a main character.

He was very flawed as a person, but he also had the very normal way of interacting with people, which balanced out a lot of his shortcomings.

And it was nice to see a jock who wasn't a complete dickhole.

It's really jading to see such a wuss of jock. He's always crying, and when he's not crying he's relatively pissing people off. He's still not the worst main character of FF. That title actually goes to Squall, a person whose only major character development was him talking to himself a lot less.

Honestly I liked that laughing scene, it was stupid and awkward.

Aevitas
09-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Honestly the only reason he bothered me at first was because of my initial reaction of seeing the main character's picture:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/Aevitas7/tidus.jpg

*What was going on in my head 8 years ago after seeing this picture and watching the first trailer for the game*
"Oooooh look at me! My name's Tidus, but it's supposed to be pronounced wrong according to the narrator guy, like Tee-dus because of some weird pronunciation (possibly localization) error! I'm cool because I'm going for that Ganguro fad look that Japanese people love so much and I have cool pants because one pant leg is longer than the other and asymmetry is cool! And this smile? It looks weird because it was superglued on by the CG modelers! I just can't get it off even if I tried!"

For those who don't know, Ganguro is when Japanese people tan their skin and dye their hair blond to mimic the look of California people.. usually girls, but guys do it too.

I've gotten used to how he looks now though and don't really have any issue with him. His cheerfulness is fine, and it seems that every other Cosmos character says he seems to be the most cheerful.

Because of that, I always enjoy going back to this scene for giggles:
YouTube - Dissidia - Destiny Odyssey 106 (English) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5O3mnyjndc)

Most cheerful person grouped with the two most awkward conversationalists in the series. Nice.

Suppi
09-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Honestly the only reason he bothered me at first was because of my initial reaction of seeing the main character's picture:

*What was going on in my head 8 years ago after seeing this picture and watching the first trailer for the game*
"Oooooh look at me! My name's Tidus, but it's supposed to be pronounced wrong according to the narrator guy, like Tee-dus because of some weird pronunciation (possibly localization) error! I'm cool because I'm going for that Ganguro fad look that Japanese people love so much and I have cool pants because one pant leg is longer than the other and asymmetry is cool! And this smile? It looks weird because it was superglued on by the CG modelers! I just can't get it off even if I tried!"

For those who don't know, Ganguro is when Japanese people tan their skin and dye their hair blond to mimic the look of California people.. usually girls, but guys do it too.

I've gotten used to how he looks now though and don't really have any issue with him. His cheerfulness is fine, and it seems that every other Cosmos character says he seems to be the most cheerful.

YouTube - Dissidia - Destiny Odyssey 106 (English) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5O3mnyjndc)

Most cheerful person grouped with the two most awkward conversationalists in the series. Nice.
Heh... I always thought he was going for the whole Sports jocky meets J-pop artist look 8 years ago *Gasp has it really been 8 years... I feel old =/* I never liked his up beat attitude... wasn't natural *AHAHAHAHAHA do it with me AHAHAHAHAHA (burned in my memory)*. But I got used to it... I liked how Yuna was though... have to say the CG was excellent (blew my mind).

Aevitas
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Yep I can't believe that much time has passed either. But I counted and shit... it has been that long. I feel REALLY old.

Suppi
09-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Yep I can't believe that much time has passed either. But I counted and shit... it has been that long. I feel REALLY old.

I should go and play that game again... but I just don't want to go through 50 hours of RPG again =/ You can't be that old... I mean it was only 8 years ago on the PS2... *when was the last time I even touched that relic*

Aevitas
09-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah, 8 years ago PS2 was a shiny new system. I still play it randomly (and it still works!) but it's been a long time since I played a RPG on it. I've wanted to play X-2 just for completion's sake but it would be a game I get into knowing already that I wouldn't like it. =\ Maybe I'll just watch the cutscenes on Youtube...

Suppi
09-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah, 8 years ago PS2 was a shiny new system. I still play it randomly (and it still works!) but it's been a long time since I played a RPG on it. I've wanted to play X-2 just for completion's sake but it would be a game I get into knowing already that I wouldn't like it. =\ Maybe I'll just watch the cutscenes on Youtube...

I still have that game... Never got the pure will power to finish it... Not even with my extraordinary patience *that of a squirrel :3*.
It reminds me so much of charley angels and such little story progression in the beginning =/ I liked FFXII on the PS2 though.

Aevitas
09-20-2009, 09:37 AM
XII is another one I still need to play, but I heard the ending sucked. -.- Basically that the first half was good, but the second half wasn't. So I'd be readying myself for disappointment either way.

Suppi
09-20-2009, 09:43 AM
XII is another one I still need to play, but I heard the ending sucked. -.- Basically that the first half was good, but the second half wasn't. So I'd be readying myself for disappointment either way.

First half was good minus the fact that I hated Vaan *the one that looked like a fag*... I hated how they killed off your first character after like 3 minutes... But was a fun game none the less *Balthier the Luke Skywalker of FF*

ColdRoxas
09-20-2009, 11:00 AM

My God, this comment Lol'd me up so bad XD

WhiteHowl
09-21-2009, 06:19 AM
First half was good minus the fact that I hated Vaan *the one that looked like a fag*... I hated how they killed off your first character after like 3 minutes... But was a fun game none the less *Balthier the Luke Skywalker of FF*

Balthier was Han Solo
Fran was Chewbacca
Ashe was Leah
Vaan was Luke Skywalker
Basch was Obi-Wan
Panelo was 3CP0

Solider was Darth Vader
Dr. Cid was Emperor Palpatine or Palpable or Panda-bear or Pepperment or w/e the *EFF!* you wanted to call him

Suppi
09-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Balthier was Han Solo
Fran was Chewbacca
Ashe was Leah
Vaan was Luke Skywalker
Basch was Obi-Wan
Panelo was 3CP0

Solider was Darth Vader
Dr. Cid was Emperor Palpatine or Palpable or Panda-bear or Pepperment or w/e the *EFF!* you wanted to call him

Figure you catch me in that eventually =p *officially trolled but with good results =p*
Wow 3CPO huh.

TidusBrotherhood770
10-14-2009, 04:52 PM
People hated him because he was apparently "whiny" (But we all know he hated jecht, altho he just wanted answers) about his dad, i mean if ur dad never wanted u around and always called u a crybaby, and then magically disappeared one day, then reappeared as a gigantic fish-monster and destroyed your home and then transported you to another world apparently 1000 years in the future with no one in the sea about to be eaten by a monster then found and took on a mahusive adventure going "WTF" but yeah i think all the haters would understand all that happened to tidus straight away. (NOT!!!)

Xnpio
10-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow. 8 Years. lol.

Originally, I didn't mind Tidus, but I thought he was a lot less badass then say, Auron or Jecht. I used to think he didn't have a lot of qualities that made him unique.. But then after years passed and I replayed the game last summer, I realized that he was very similar to an actual person, and handled things like real people do. He seemed a lot more real this time through, and I think he's really cool now.

Fayt
10-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Tidus is awesome and he awesome to use as well

UltimaFox
10-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Since my first Final Fantasy was X, I have a real special connection with this game. It brought me into the series and turned 12-year-old me into a fan.

It appears people don't like Tidus for one of two reasons: He handles situtations differently from past main characters, or he's "too whiny." Not everyone is "Whatever" or "Urgh! I'm a puppet?! No! Yes! NO! YES!" If FFX didn't have voice acting, I'm pretty certain that his reception would be different, more likely as better than worse, which is quite rediculous. The voices add to the personality, whether one likes it or not; it doesn't subtract. If you were in his shoes, would you respond like Squall? Cloud? Zidane? No. You would respond with frustration and anger as opposed to apathy, confusion, and total optimism.

However, this is coming from a person who likes every character, so my points may seem rediculous to you, whereas you may think my points are just as so. I felt he was real when playing the game the first time, and the feeling becomes stronger the more I play the game.

Fayt
10-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Since my first Final Fantasy was X, I have a real special connection with this game. It brought me into the series and turned 12-year-old me into a fan.

It appears people don't like Tidus for one of two reasons: He handles situtations differently from past main characters, or he's "too whiny." Not everyone is "Whatever" or "Urgh! I'm a puppet?! No! Yes! NO! YES!" If FFX didn't have voice acting, I'm pretty certain that his reception would be different, more likely as better than worse, which is quite rediculous. The voices add to the personality, whether one likes it or not; it doesn't subtract. If you were in his shoes, would you respond like Squall? Cloud? Zidane? No. You would respond with frustration and anger as opposed to apathy, confusion, and total optimism.

However, this is coming from a person who likes every character, so my points may seem rediculous to you, whereas you may think my points are just as so. I felt he was real when playing the game the first time, and the feeling becomes stronger the more I play the game.

True FFX was my frist game from FF so I feel the same

Xirmant
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Tidus is a great character period.

Well... except for his constant desire to use hand gestures EVERY TIME HE TALKS!

He also had an awkward run, like Kefka's but only halfway there

Scott
11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
FFX was your first...? Weird...

I think Tidus is somewhat annoying. He is always whining and being greedy. Being in "a new world" doesn't give you the right to whine.

Either way, I felt he worked well with all of the cast except for Yuna. I always found Yuna to be too rigid and static. She only becomes somewhat of a reasonable character in X2.

TruDat
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
He bothers me for one reason only.
He was a MEMORY.
He ruined my childhood dreams of Final Fantasy.

Marcus
11-22-2009, 03:47 AM
He is a character with a lot of heart, the game was superb.

His story telling of the past up to the point of zanarkand was great.

Top that off witha love story and a deep love , yet loving hatred of his father, and you have a very deep character.

Plus he was very flashy with his moves o_o

how can you not like him?

oh... thats right you have to be emo to be cool... right Cloud?

Cloud :You said it Marcus :D, err I mean I cant help anyone "

p.s I cried at the ending of final fantasy x, the game made me think deeply ...

rshadowkirby
11-22-2009, 04:25 AM
tidus is awesome
arguably one of the better main characters
he really develops in the game going from a cheerful guy whos lost and kin of upset in a new world to a emotionally determined character.

it was his whining and ignorance that made the other characters question what they believe in and he really IS the main character because without him they would still believe in the teachings of yevon (or whatever its called)

he also has my favourte quote ever

"this is my story it will go the way i want or im ending it now"

Aevitas
11-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Well... except for his constant desire to use hand gestures EVERY TIME HE TALKS!

I actually agree with this. I remember playing the game and wondering if Squenix was playing around with their motion capture studio for the first time and not completely knowing what they were doing. Tidus' "talking" animation would just be recycled over and over again and it's so extravagant/obvious that it bothered me. I could also have been overthinking it because I was studying in film school at the time. =\

Durzo
11-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Because he is annoying as fuck.

LemenEX
11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Because he is annoying as fuck.

QFT

I've never seen such a douche. Crying all the freaking game T.T
Doing NOTHING else
:<

Björk
11-22-2009, 12:50 PM
1. Meg Ryan
2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
3. Prince of Cheddar
4. No real impact on anything
5. Not even real

Stupid Aquarius
11-22-2009, 01:53 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n154/StupidAquarius/blahblahblah_sig3.jpg

I used to think Tidus was a right wanker who got off lucky since no one took it upon themselves to rape his thoart with a chainsaw, but after replaying the game he's kinda grown on to me as a character. I still think he can be pretty irritating though, but I...hate him a whole lot less. I'd go as far as to say he's a good guy who generally means well, he just winds up accidentally pissing in everyone's Coke every once and then.

tl;dr I like Tidus, but he can be pretty annoying.

Björk
11-22-2009, 02:00 PM
In all honesty, Tidus was one of the better FF mains.

BTW, I never understand that sig. Is Tidus drenched in syrup? ¬.¬

Stupid Aquarius
11-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Nope, dripping wet paint. :B

Zexion
12-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Not gonna read through a whole topic, but I'll just say this:

I lovz0rz my Tidus.

That said, I want to make this point:

If you were taken out of a comfy life and thrown into a strange world you knew nothing about, with no knowledge of how to get home, and the threat of potential death around every corner, would YOU be all "Gung-Ho let's have an adventure and save the world!" right away?

Hell no.

You would probably whine and bitch and moan, just like Tidus did. Thing is, Tidus quit that and got into the spin of things like 1/4 through the game. So I really don't see what's to complain about.

Yeah, there are a few VA issues, but this was the first FF game ever to have Voice Acting, and back then, VAing wasn't as big an industry as it is today. You gotta cut the actors a little slack. James Taylor did a wonderful job in Dissidia, and his performance in X was still lovely as well.

Hedy Burress was a little shaky here and there, but she also did a very good capture of Yuna.

Maybe X will get a remake for the 30th anniversary and they can all give it another shot. xD

Long story short, I love Tidus. Definitely one of my favorite FF characters in the series.

LemenEX
12-12-2009, 08:32 PM
If you were taken out of a comfy life and thrown into a strange world you knew nothing about, with no knowledge of how to get home, and the threat of potential death around every corner, would YOU be all "Gung-Ho let's have an adventure and save the world!" right away?

Dude, that's what everyone wants to happen, at least, I know I'd love if I would have been tossed in a silly fantasy-world T.T
Pretty much better than anything that could happen in this boring life here, anyway :p

Zexion
12-13-2009, 02:48 AM
You say that, but if it actually happened, I doubt you'd be so fond of the idea. =/

Kite
12-13-2009, 03:05 AM
ITS TIME FOR A NEW ADVENTURE

-that is the preferred attitude when thrown into a fantasy world

the real reason no one likes Tidus is because Nero uses him =P

Zexion
12-13-2009, 03:36 AM
But he's so lovable. D=

Frethal
12-28-2009, 11:15 PM
"Suddenly, I felt the urge to yell."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHH

"I'm hungry!"

"Who's this ----?"

HARHARHAWHAWHAR

It's not that I think it's bad, but it's kind of over-the-top at some times :3

the real reason no one likes Tidus is because Nero uses him =P
QFT :P

Sphere
01-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I like him alot. He ranked #3 in my top 50 FF characters video. I dont know why people hate him.

I dont know why people hate him either.

I hear he is whiney and annoying all the time when in reality he is one of the most cheerful Main Characters in the FF series when he has some of the biggest reasons to be depressed. I can't figure it out honestly.

In my group of friends everyone thinks its hilarious that he is one of my favorites. They all seem to hate him with a passion.

Kite
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I could say the same about cloud who has even bigger reasons to be depressed

but unlike Tidus, cloud doesnt go HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

Vaanskylord
01-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I could say the same about cloud who has even bigger reasons to be depressed

but unlike Tidus, cloud doesnt go HAW HAW HAW HAW HAW

No Cloud fails. He has no reason to be depressed. So what if Aeirth died, 2 years is enough time to mourn a death. And why does he even care if Zack died, he dosen't even remember the guy.

Then he says bullshit like "I cant protect anyone"......does he realize that he saved the planet ?

Anyway....necro threads should stay dead.

Sphere
01-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Meh Id say cloud has a reason to be depressed but thats just my opinion.

However in a forum where theres theres only 7 threads going I hardly think a reply 10 days late is a necro.

Vaanskylord
01-11-2010, 12:12 AM
But unless the thread was REALLY popular i doubt anyone will care about the thread 10 days later.

Sphere
01-11-2010, 12:17 AM
This thread does have the most replies of any thread on this section of the forums does it now?

Either way now we are just filling it with meaningless spam.

Proximately
03-13-2010, 10:52 PM
No Cloud fails. He has no reason to be depressed. So what if Aeirth died, 2 years is enough time to mourn a death. And why does he even care if Zack died, he dosen't even remember the guy.

Then he says bullshit like "I cant protect anyone"......does he realize that he saved the planet ?

Anyway....necro threads should stay dead.

It's easy to push yourself down due to past mistakes. He blamed himself for Aerith's death, he was also unable to protect Tifa and her father, not to mention Zack himself. It all comes down to the fact that he never made it as a Soldier, that's where I believe his self-loathing began.

Regarding Tidus though, I've never hated him. He's a sporty and positive guy. When compared to someone like "Vaan" I just want to hug Tidus and tell him he's the best in the universe. His story is one of the most interesting in a Final Fantasy universe as well in my opinion.

Ulrich
03-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Tidus is actually my favourite "good" guy in FF universe. He just seems a lot more... human, should I say? I really sympathized him during the story.

Mirsa
03-27-2010, 05:13 PM
@proxy-so ur saying u would hug him until he passes out but u won't share any cotton candy with him?...I c how it is..lol..

and umm I think tidus is awsome..I never had anything against him..ffx was my 2nd ff game so I enjoyed the game as well as the story and charaters(lulu^^)...I'm my language her name means something inappropriate to say on this thread..lol..but uh...yeah I'm jealous of tidus in a way cause I can never hold my breath for longer than 3mins..xp(damn blitzers..xp)....^^

Archideas
03-27-2010, 05:59 PM
He doesn't bother me. :O I like him.

Zane
05-31-2010, 11:52 PM
X was my first FF game, I'll never understand why people hate Tidus so much. I guess because I can relate to him, that & he's pretty cool.

Oh but some say he is whinny, well sorry buddy we all can't be emotionless. People express different feelings in different ways.

Tidus's actions seemed like something a real person his age might do to.

So that to me makes him seem more realistic.

Suppi
05-31-2010, 11:54 PM
http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/Image/tidus_meg_ryan.jpg
YouTube- Tidus's laugh
Tidus is amused.

Scott
06-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh but some say he is whinny, well sorry buddy we all can't be emotionless.

Stereotyping Cloud and/or Squall to justify Tidus?

Tidus is self-centred, and spoilt. He thinks he's a hotshot, but he's just an annoying git with daddy issues. Even when he tries to be a hero, it's because he's self-centred.

Suppi
06-01-2010, 12:24 AM
He thinks he's a hotshot

I like to see you hold a crowd of millions while kicking a water soccer ball at over the speed of sound into the FUCKING SKY!?!?!?!11

He is a hot shot. He just doesn't have a good personality :3

Zane
06-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Stereotyping Cloud and/or Squall to justify Tidus?

Tidus is self-centred, and spoilt. He thinks he's a hotshot, but he's just an annoying git with daddy issues. Even when he tries to be a hero, it's because he's self-centred.

Not at all, they'll both cool characters,

I wasn't even thinking of them until you brought em up man. ripping on Cloud & Squall has been used so many its not worth using anymore.

Tidus being selfish, childish at times yes, selfish, not remembering any of the times he was like that.

He is a hotshot he might be a bit spoiled I mean Being the number one player. You might be too.

Also that laughing clip made me laugh.:)

Suppi
06-01-2010, 12:34 AM
also that laughing clip made me laugh.:)

haa haa haa haa haa!

Zane
06-01-2010, 12:36 AM
haa haa haa haa haa!

Pretty much.:)

Also him looking like Meg Ryan, who cares.

Suppi
06-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Pretty much.:)

Also him looking like Meg Ryan, who cares.

Meg Ryan cares :3

A guy looks better than her even with her nose scrunched up :3

Scott
06-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Not at all, they'll both cool characters,

I wasn't even thinking of them until you brought em up man. ripping on Cloud & Squall has been used so many its not worth using anymore.

Tidus being selfish, childish at times yes, selfish, not remembering any of the times he was like that.

He is a hotshot he might be a bit spoiled I mean Being the number one player. You might be too.

Also that laughing clip made me laugh.:)

He is selfish in the sense that, at the start of the game, he's only after his best interests, and even at the end, he's being heroic just so he can fight his father. He dominates what should have been Yuna's story.

Suppi
06-01-2010, 01:02 AM
He is selfish in the sense that, at the start of the game, he's only after his best interests, and even at the end, he's being heroic just so he can fight his father. He dominates what should have been Yuna's story.

no in the end... he wishes to release his father from "sins" control.

MoD
06-01-2010, 01:09 AM

But she wanted to kill her self to save the world for just 10 years.
srsly that is just retarded
and he's the one who stopped her and asked her to think of a way to kill Sin.

Zane
06-01-2010, 02:06 AM
Tidus changed his experience and quest changed him it made him grow up.

Scott
06-01-2010, 03:09 AM
I know, but I still don't like him, so I said it hoping people would just blindly agree to it. :P

IlluZioN
06-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Personally I dislike him as a whole his personality the whole package. Also you can't say he was a happy character pretty much all the FF's have them (7 exempt and I haven't played 9).

Zodiark
06-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Anybody that doesnt like Tidus is a BLASPHEMER!
Dont pronounce it Tea-duss, makes him sound annoying and gay
Say it like Tie-dus, it makes more sense cuz his Sphere color is Aqua, and likes blitzball. All water, Tide-us

IlluZioN
06-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Anybody that doesnt like Tidus is a BLASPHEMER!
Dont pronounce it Tea-duss, makes him sound annoying and gay
Say it like Tie-dus, it makes more sense cuz his Sphere color is Aqua, and likes blitzball. All water, Tide-us
You can want it to be pronounced like that all you want but it's still Tea-dus that's just because we speak English

Cookies
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Simply put, GIANT GAY. I don't care how hot Yuna is, he's still gay.

Also I'm pretty sure when Waka says tea-duss it's because he's got a stupid accent.

RYCloud92
06-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Tidus was alright, bit of a d**k to his dad but who isnt :P .

Only thing I didnt like was his laugh
YouTube- Tidus's laugh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0)

Seriously...who laughs like that

IlluZioN
06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Does he say Tea-dus in the Japanese version because I'm completely sure they never say his name in the English game. Also I know 2 different Tidus's in real life and they are both pronounced tea-dus.

Rey Magnus
06-08-2010, 02:30 PM

if it's not the VA... but i liked what he says?? D:

..Personality........... He was a whiny cunt.

Zodiark
06-08-2010, 04:58 PM
I think they say Tide-us in Japan, But Tea-dus in the US, probably because of rule of literature or something..

Thiefcopy
06-28-2010, 04:37 AM

Zidane was pretty happy character too, but I found him to be kind of irritating, maybe I just don't like monkeys. I also played 7 and 8 first and Tidus is my second favorite character.

I'm amazed that people find him annoying too, although he does dwell on his father problems a bit, and comparing him to other FF characters makes his life seem easy. He's got more realistic problems than horrible psychological ones, whether you like that or not will probably determine if you like his character.

ShadowAngel
06-29-2010, 04:52 AM
Tidus is cool. It just annoys me that I can't use him very well in Dissidia...But his father is a different story XP Sorry I just have to say that XD
_______

Weiss_Hikari
06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Because he looks like a girl.

Cookies
06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Because he's such a giant woman. Also because he knows Wakka, who is far more annoying, but that is for another thread. I think also as far as this game goes it's because he's got no normal attacks (okay like 2) I just want to hit them not dodge them.

TKG09
06-29-2010, 07:30 PM
The only thing i dont like about Tidus is his voice in the japanese version of dissidia. other than that hes a decent character

Thiefcopy
07-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Because he looks like a girl.

So does WoL, and Firion, and The Emperor, and Onion Knight, and Cecil, and Bartz, and Zidane, and Kuja, and.........Well, damn near everyone. They're Japanese remember?

Kite
07-19-2010, 02:02 AM
He means because he looks like an actual girl (Meg Ryan), not that he has girl features

Neo Bahamut
07-19-2010, 02:03 AM
I always love the "x looks like a girl!" line. From the way people speak, every single guy IRL must look like Guy's concept art: Thick limbs, hairy as an ape, slacked jaw, square face....

I think I'd rather be "effeminate," personally.

Kite
07-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Im pretty sure people would be bothered by you as well if you look like meg ryan

Cookies
07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Im pretty sure people would be bothered by you as well if you look like meg ryan

Kite is the official winner of this thread.

Subrosian
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Meg Ryan ≠ Tidus. It's just the hairstyle. Their facial expressions don't even look remotely similar. If we went around saying everyone looked like a celebrity, then Kane from Shining Force would look like David Bowie in the Labyrinth and Big Boss would look like Sean Connery.

Tidus looks more like Camui Gackt, anyway. In face and hair.

Veysey
07-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Meg Ryan ≠ Tidus. It's just the hairstyle. Their facial expressions don't even look remotely similar. If we went around saying everyone looked like a celebrity, then Kane from Shining Force would look like David Bowie in the Labyrinth and Big Boss would look like Sean Connery.

Tidus looks more like Camui Gackt, anyway. In face and hair.

Don't forget Squall and Leonardo DiCaprio back in the 90s XD

Anyways
http://hairbrained.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/meg-ryan-hair.jpeg
http://media.curse.com/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00/00/01/86/89/ffx-2tidus.jpg
That EASILY passes as family in my opinion. They look a lot alike.

As for my opinion of Tidus, I really hated him when I first started playing. He was annoying and whiny. Jecht was right to call him a crybaby. Honestly though, he grows and develops a lot. They did an excellent job writing his character and by the end of the game, Tidus and Jecht were my favorite Final Fantasy characters.

Granted, one really couldn't stand out well without the other and it's because of the father-son dynamic that their personalities were allowed to flourish so much. Either way, I really grew to love both of their characters, so Tidus is a great character in my book.

Subrosian
07-19-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.videogamelookalikes.com/pics/tidus-final-fantasy-x-gackt.jpg

When I first saw screen shots of the new Final Fantasy game when X first came out, I really thought that Tidus' character design was the dumbest one ever. His facial expressions just made him look weird and his outfit was ridiculous, in my opinion. However, I started playing the game and his appearance grew on me, but his personality didn't. I found him to be extremely annoying as well, especially in the beginning parts of the game and probably even further after the events at Luca.

Eventually I began to like him better as his character become more developed and well-rounded, and at least he wasn't a brooding loner or a whiny emo kid with a personality disorder/identity complex like Squall and Cloud were.

Neo Bahamut
07-20-2010, 07:33 PM
In a way, Tidus is more emo, since he--y'know--emotes.

I find it puzzling that you were expecting an appearance that WASN'T completely outrageous, though. I mean, look at the cast of Dissidia. Just take a good, hard look at them.

Cookies
07-20-2010, 08:55 PM
In a way, Tidus is more emo, since he--y'know--emotes.

I find it puzzling that you were expecting an appearance that WASN'T completely outrageous, though. I mean, look at the cast of Dissidia. Just take a good, hard look at them.

I did, and then my eyes started to bleed. Some of them are pretty darn weird.

soul-scythe
07-20-2010, 10:40 PM
lol for me i never played FFX the only game with tidus i play is dissidia hea hea

Thiefcopy
08-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I did, and then my eyes started to bleed. Some of them are pretty darn weird.

It doesn't help that they all wear colorful beads either :mad:

Neo Bahamut
08-02-2010, 05:57 AM
It doesn't help that they all wear colorful beads either :mad:

I'm gonna destroy EVERYTHING! ...And I'll look absolutely FABULOUS doing it!

Thiefcopy
08-02-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm gonna destroy EVERYTHING! ...And I'll look absolutely FABULOUS doing it!

We all know that the Emperor is the most FABULOUS. Kefka's got nothing on those heels!

OhHellIt'sDan
08-03-2010, 04:12 AM
I always love the "x looks like a girl!" line. From the way people speak, every single guy IRL must look like Guy's concept art: Thick limbs, hairy as an ape, slacked jaw, square face....

I think I'd rather be "effeminate," personally.

How about just "normal"? Whatever happened to normal?

It seems like a whole lot of game designers have lost the ability to come up with characters that don't look like they should be punched in the eye socket or tossed in the primate house. They're all reminiscent of either 1970s-era Mick Jagger or 1990s-era James Hetfield, and most real-life people don't look anything like that.

Oh, and character design aside, Tidus is a maudlin sissy with a tedious sob-story. Square should stop forcing its customers into assuming that role.

Neo Bahamut
08-03-2010, 04:44 PM
How about just "normal"? Whatever happened to normal?

It seems like a whole lot of game designers have lost the ability to come up with characters that don't look like they should be punched in the eye socket or tossed in the primate house. They're all reminiscent of either 1970s-era Mick Jagger or 1990s-era James Hetfield, and most real-life people don't look anything like that.

Oh, and character design aside, Tidus is a maudlin sissy with a tedious sob-story. Square should stop forcing its customers into assuming that role.

This is what I'm hinting at. Tidus really isn't that effeminate. The thing is, it seems like unless the character walks around exposing his ripped abs & has 5 o'clock shadow, he's "effeminate."

Balthier may be the exception.

As for design, I really don't believe that players should be forced into some kind of flat, super-macho archetype either.

Thiefcopy
08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
This is what I'm hinting at. Tidus really isn't that effeminate. The thing is, it seems like unless the character walks around exposing his ripped abs & has 5 o'clock shadow, he's "effeminate."

Balthier may be the exception.

As for design, I really don't believe that players should be forced into some kind of flat, super-macho archetype either.

To be honest, I think the flat, pretty boy archetype has become the overused look in Japanese culture, and this transfers heavily to their games and movies. I like it when they include characters like Jecht (Although he may have taken all the other characters MANLINESS for himself)

Neo Bahamut
08-05-2010, 01:42 AM
To be honest, I think the flat, pretty boy archetype has become the overused look in Japanese culture, and this transfers heavily to their games and movies. I like it when they include characters like Jecht (Although he may have taken all the other characters MANLINESS for himself)

It probably has a lot to do with marketing. Picking an androgynous teenage male for a protagonist should, in theory, pander to your target audience. With Lightning, they were probably going for a woman with a "masculine" personality. Same idea, really.

I'm just saying, everything's cool in moderation.

Fayt
08-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Tidus kicks ass! Tidus is awesome! He ant emo at all!

flipclips
08-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Tidus kicks ass! Tidus is awesome! He ant emo at all!

emo? it doesnt matter whose really emo XD tidus was always awesome IMO, although it kinda makes sense that some characters went emo from what happened to them, but in the end thats really what makes them stronger, tidus stayed cheerful throughout the whole story even knowing he was a dream of the fayth he didnt really change. and i was nvr annoyed w/ tidus at all. EDIT: Also isn't he the 1st FF character to get a love scene that happens to be epic? XD

lemonade
08-25-2010, 03:00 AM
He doesn't bother me at all.