So, in a fit of celebration after finally getting all my characters to level 100, I decided to check out all the EX Burst damage. There's actually been quite a shift in the ranking and whatnot.
All characters were at level 100 and gearless, and performed a Perfect EX Burst against a level 100 Tidus with no gear and accessories (110 Base Def), and EX Defense Omega. All the tests were done on Order's Sanctuary, with a flat BRV pool of 1399. If the EX Burst broke the opponent, the BRV pool was simply subtracted from the final damage. And the opposing Tidus wasn't allowed to build too high a BRV so the multiplier of the criticals wouldn't play a factor (they'd all do x2 damage).
Some rough notes for individual results:
1. Tidus and Cloud have 2 sets of data. One for at Full HP (when their Burst is most powerful) and one at 1 HP (when the Burst is weakest)
2. Tifa similarily has 2 sets, one for at maximum EX gauge (or pretty much as close as you can get), the other when the gauge is empty.
3. Lightning has 2 sets as well, one for the Rav/Medic role, and one for the Commando Role, where she gains +1 ATK. The main thing to note about Lightning's EX Burst is that it will automatically Break the opponent if they're under 30% of their BRV, which adds to the overall damage done. The figure shows the damage if the opponent is already broken. Irregardless, it does show what a big difference +1 ATK can make.
4. Cecil's was done without the Shadowbringer or Luminous Shard abilities equipped. If they were to be equipped, note that due to the higher weightage on the DK portion of the attack, Shadowbringer will actually buff the overall damage, while Luminous Shard will weaken it. The difference won't be too notable unless you're doing 3 stacks, anyway. Similiarly, equipping the Cimmerian Edge will enhance the Burst even furthur because of the additional bonus during the DK portion of the attack.
5. Feral Chaos. The big question mark in the whole table. There are a few things to note about Regnum Dei:
a. EX Defense isn't applied during Regnum Dei.
b. The figure shown here is the MINIMUM damage possible from Regnum Dei, that is, activing the R+ portion immediately after Feral Chaos initiates the EX Burst. The damage can easily go higher... unless the opponent breaks Feral Chaos, of course.
That said, here's the damage chart:
Some idle observations:
1. Gilgamesh is beast.
2. Exdeath got majorly nerfed, Jecht and Kefka were supremely buffed, Bartz got a slight boost, and CoD and Ultimecia took some hits.
3. Among the new characters, Laguna and Lightning are big hitters, and Kain and Yuna are both also strong. Vaan and Prishe are disappointments.
4. Squall now has the indignity of having the weakest EX Burst barring the fluctating 3.
5. Feral Chaos has some crazy power. Even without any additional commands he beats Prishe, CoD, Vaan, Zidane, Kuja, OK and Squall. Granted, he gets to ignore the +10 DEF... but still.
If there are any questions or errors somewhere, do feel free to let me know so I can check again.
I wonder why Kain's and Tifa's Ex bursts were considered broken, they deal pretty much damage.
Regarding Lightning, did you take her EX mode bonus: Omega Weapon (early break) into account? It activates during EX Burst as well. That maybe the reason of the inconsistence damage you got, as well as the strangely high EX Burst damage. (I don't think she can do more than Full HP Tidus)
EDIT: Her EX Burst damage should be slightly lower than Terra's: Both total damage multiplier =100, but Light's initial damage as well as her base ATK stat are slightly lower.
I suggest you could test again, either let your opponent to build high enough BRV so it won't be broken, or break your opponent before your EX Burst.
I'll admit I was very surprised by her high damage too. Maybe someone can verify the results? After all, gearless fights have such a big impact on damage.
No no, not the Brave pool.
The effect of that is, if the opponent is "near Break", which is less than 200 BRV for a Lv 100 character, her next hit will do exactly the same damage as the opponent's BRV, regardless of any ATK/DEF.
For example you did EX Burst no.1: the 3rd hit of her Ex Burst put Tidus from 210 BRV to 190 BRV, then her 4th hit MUST do 190 damage to break him. Even her 4th hit should do 20 damage normally, so you got that extra 190-20 = 170 BRV added to you.
then you test again, EX Burst no.2: this time the 3rd hit put Tidus from 201 BRV to 181 BRV, then her 4th hit MUST do 181 damage.
So this time you got 181-20 = 161 extra BRV.
(the 20 damage number is just an example, I made that up)
Apporoximatly how much does the damage flux having shadowbringer equipped?
that and I wasnt expecting Tifa to be in the top 5 that was rather suprising,that and Kain made the top 10,I figured his would have been much weaker
And here's some numbers:
With 1 Shadowbringer: 739
With 2 Shadowbringer: 745
With 3 Shadowbringer: 754
With 1 Luminous Shard: 722
With 2 Luminous Shard: 713
With 3 Luminous Shard: 705
Oh wow, an actual update!
So, here's a table to show the absolute strength of EX Bursts assuming everyone has the SAME Atk. I used the accessory that gave everyone 55 ATK (and gave the test Tidus the one for 55 DEF).
One thing to note is that using that accessory at level 100 nullifies any changes to ATK as a result of EX Mode. So Lightning has the same damage for all 3 paradigms, Cecil doesn't get bonus damage in DK, and Gabranth and Feral Chaos don't get their bonus ATK from EX Mode.
Here's the table, first, with the first table (everyone at base ATK), to the right of it for comparison:
As you can see, some characters fared pretty badly on the first table not because their EX Bursts were weak, but because of their low base ATK. Check out OK and Zidane. Jecht, on the other hand, fell right where he was in DFF since he doesn't have his high base ATK to rely on anymore.
Gabranth's EX Burst seems very weak, due to its low initial damage. In an actual fight though his 4ATK bonus would kick in, making it much stronger in practice.
The top of the table seems a little screwy, which leads me to the conclusion that strong, few hits are better than multiple weak ones. Laguna has the highest inital attack power of any EX Burst, not counting Gilgamesh and the three variables (Cloud, Tifa, Tidus), but his multiple bursts of weak hits cause him to fall behind Terra and Kain, who rely on few, large chunky hits. This can also actually be seen in the first table- Onion Knight (Sage) is stronger than Onion Knight (Ninja), despite having the same power in their attacks. This is because the large hit from Holy has a better return than the multiple Shuriken.
Wow This is actually quite good.