Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Your Game On Q&A, Discussion, etc.

Gil

Post Get Your Game On Q&A, Discussion, etc.

Feel free to discuss "Get Your Game On" tournament and ask questions.
    Last edited by Narolf; 03-22-2012 at 12:17 PM.
    Signature by Galadín.

HxH fucked me up. ChaosMuramasa's Avatar
    Gil

Any chance of getting Empyreal Paradox changed to Sky Fortress Bahamut out of the selectable stages for striking, assuming people vote for it?

Many of the EU tourneys thus far have proved how ridiculous things get with that giant crystal that you can't quick-move on for some reason. SFB seems like a much smarter choice since it's a more balanced stage.

If not SFB, then World of Darkness would be just as good.

Gil

The reasons for using these maps were outlined during the time when Phoenix was discussed and here they are:

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    In short, the stages were chosen in such a way to provide a different environment in each and to provide a fighting chance to all types of characters. Two cramped, two open (vertical and horizontal), and one in the middle.

Prima Vista: Small but open. Its height not as low as PT's, and its width not as limiting as EoM's diameter. It sports two levels to not leave an opponent completely at the mercy of a cqc fighter that has chosen that stage. Generally sports to ground, close-ranged and wallrushing characters. Depending on the character, some aerial combat can still take place.

Pandaemonium: Cramped map. Plenty of pockets of cramped spaces to hide behind, but also holds central area with little ground and a generous breathing space for a small map when compared to others of its size. Also includes a floor warp. Generally supports ground, close-ranged and wallrushing characters, but also provides an area for some aerial combat and gives room for long range attacks that spawn where the enemy is, while providing cover for the caster.

Lunar Subterrane: Open, horizontal map. The ceiling isn't high enough to completely force a ground character into the air. Aerial characters will have no problems ceiling rushing, but ground characters won't have trouble finding ground to do the same against the floor. Generally sports to aerial, long-range, and chasing styles. However due to its limited height, wallrushing and some ground characters can still function.

Old Chaos Shrine: Open, vertical map. Unlike the Lunar Subterrane, it offers a floor that allows some characters to use as a shield and as a spacing mechanism. The niches at the bottom of the map also allows for hiding and floor/wall rushing--an element LS doesn't house. Mostly provides for aerial, long-range fighters. However, ground and wallrushing characters can still try taking the fight to the bottom of the stage.

Empyreal Paradox: Medium sized map. Ideally, the thought that chose this over a few other maps that could fit the bill was that it had a little bit of everything. A high ceiling for aerial characters, and a smaller radius than normal for ground characters. The crystal in the middle doesn't allow for the same type of aerial assault from the ceiling that open maps allow for. A map that can provide an environment for all styles--ground and aerial, wallrushing, close-range and long range.
    The answer to your specific question is in the "Empyreal Paradox" section.
    Also the set of these three tournaments is not a one off, but is used to prepare and allow people to practice for a Major Tournament that will be appearing sometime this summer. So I would like to keep the ruleset as close as possible to something that would be used for the Majors. This is a chance for new players to come in to have a taste of what a Major would be like in terms of a rule-set and competition. It also allows old timers to get their rust off. Also this set may add valuable material on match-ups since this will be a competitive environment and you are welcomed to try out and put your theories to the test.
    Signature by Galadín.

Gil

Would further discussion regarding Empyreal Paradox's inclusion in the stage striking system be of any use, or is this something that will not be changed under any circumstances? I would like to contest the legitimacy of the current stance on Empyreal Paradox's reasons for inclusion, but not if it serves as either a waste of time and energy or to be considered unproductive in the first place.
    Tournament signature by Galadin.
    Spoiler:
    Garuga signature by Kayarine.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMuramasa View Post
    AND GARUGA BE LIKE

"YOLOOOOO GOT THIS SHIT"

Gil

Sure go ahead provide your reasoning and it would be up for consideration. As it stands now the benefits outweigh the arguments provided by ChaosMuramasa.

The reason I am sticking with these stages because there have been no problems or major complaints and a lot of time went into thinking about those choices.
    Last edited by Draec Khin; 03-23-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    Signature by Galadín.

Gil

I'll just say I've always been a fan of SFB as an initial stage strike pick since it's a very decent neutral stage with various elements that a lot of the cast can use.

The ceilings are not too low, but not overly high. The walls have good space but still usable in combos with proper spacing. There is a very solid ground area. There are fluxuations in ground level (up and downward travel). There are banish traps and open spaces where grounded combat can be semi-avoided. There are quick move areas. There are high perches. There are low areas. There are places to find cover. The stage also gives players room to breath if they need to play that style, but CQC characters can also use certain elements to their advantage. Horizontal spacing is always an option but it does take more finesse (not a bad thing) than in larger stages. Vertical spacing is much the same.

All in all I find it a very solid stage with something to offer to most of the cast. I honestly don't see a reason not to have it in outside of some very specific characters (and even then, it's not a bad stage for them - just not ideal).

One thing that I hate about EP is quick moves... I detest that a "default" stage is would limit a potentially very important tactic (match up dependent). Also, the ceiling is one of the highest in the game which I think kind of offsets its intent as a good "neutral" stage.
    That fearless attitude
    | Fei Long | Akihiko | Jecht | Captain Falcon |

Currently Playing:
    | Work (Oi) |

HxH fucked me up. ChaosMuramasa's Avatar
    Gil

Vey's post pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. Navigating near the top of that crystal with no way to actually move on is hardly something neutral. Characters like Kefka and Ultimecia can just stay at the top all day and you've have no way to get to them aside from dashing thanks to the lack of quick-moving.

Gil

Thanks for the input guys. After thinking it over, I have decided to use Sky Fortress Bahamut instead of Empyreal Paradox.
    Signature by Galadín.

Gil

About the daylight saving time..... some countries wont use them and will it effect the sign-up time?

Praise the Golden Sun!

Spoiler:
    [18:32] <+Djqubi> That was Crossgender N
    [18:32] <ArgyleNinja> ...
    [18:32] <+Djqubi> :3
    [18:33] <ArgyleNinja> ...Still waifu material.

Banned

Gil

No, it remains 2PM and 11:59 PDT.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast