Sponsored Links

Thread: Warning about Cecil. Assists hurt.

Gil

Default Warning about Cecil. Assists hurt.

I am constantly seeing that, Although Cecil is an ultimate character to me. He is WAY to easy to assist punish. Playing online sometimes i get scared to even attack when someone has an assist bar. because if they have one and they dodge or if i miss my timing at all then i am going down for another hp chip. I was wondering what the suggestions from other people at the forums would be for not getting assist punished so easily with cecil. because hp has short range(exception of luminous shard but still extremely assist punishable) hp is also not truely an option. at this point when a good assisting player is fighting me i get pressured into running away and trying to build up my assist for a assist counter-lock. but they follow with a dash and Cecils slow recovery on most all his moves makes him a non-assist building character.

any suggestions against a character that does nothing but assists?

孤高
    Gil

You have a few options.

1) Get an assist lead and maintain it for the entire match
    2) Run an initial assist%+ build, which helps shortcut to step 1
    3) Don't miss

Steps 1 and 3 are what I prefer. I run an EX build and don't whiff often. When I do miss an attack, I try to make sure it's not something I can be punished for. By maintaining an assist lead against most of my opponents, I don't get assist punished. If they do try to assist punish me, I assist change (if I don't have 2 bars, otherwise I just assist lock them) and lock the assist with Sacred Cross.

That being said, it takes a high skill level to deal with assist punishment on a character as punishable as Cecil.
    Tournament signature by Galadin.
    Spoiler:
    Garuga signature by Kayarine.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMuramasa View Post
    AND GARUGA BE LIKE

"YOLOOOOO GOT THIS SHIT"

Gil

you make a lot of sense and i know exactly what you are talking about. sacred cross however is has slow recovery. so much though that a skilled player will wait for me to use it on the assist and then counter with their own attack. it has happened to me several times. now the assist lead is what i will probably end up doing just so they might be a little more pressured into not assist punishing him. i will also take side by side off(i am learning i hate it) and gain his fun ex mode back. thank you for the reply.
    I shall stay my course until the end. i shall always do what needs to be done to win. but withold honor all the same.

Mains-

subs-Kain, Garland, Golbez, CoD, Laguna

Gil

you're supposed to use sacred cross to punish, not to wiff like a silly ding dong. :3

Gil

but if i want to counter the assist with my own assist to get out of it then use sacred cross because of it's speed to get to the opponents assist(if the opponent is fast such as squall) then they will just hit me with another bravery attack and i might as well be in the same position as i was before i got hit with the assist in the first place
    I shall stay my course until the end. i shall always do what needs to be done to win. but withold honor all the same.

Mains-

孤高
    Gil

What Shuru means is, you're supposed to use Sacred Cross when you are completely certain that it will connect. That way, you won't be assist punished for it.
    Tournament signature by Galadin.
    Spoiler:
    Garuga signature by Kayarine.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMuramasa View Post
    AND GARUGA BE LIKE

"YOLOOOOO GOT THIS SHIT"

Gil

oh ok i understand but i am mostly talking about the after assist lock to assist lock they counter it with a normal brv attack and i use sacred cross on people who seem to not seem it coming and i am right above them so they can't see or i use the gravity ball to searchlight to radiant wings to kuja to search light to sacred cross break combo i love using.

Mains-

Gil

usually in the situation you'd be able to hit their assist with sacred cross in, they aren't close enough to get you with something like beatfang, they'll probably be using jecht or kuja, which pulls you kind of out of the range. usually its best to try though, or just not assist out at all. Sacred cross isn't as slow as you make it out to be though, experiment some, and you'll find that unless they absolutely know you're going to assist out from the start of the move they make, they PROBABLY wont be ready to counter you, either that or you'll clash so they can keep their assist bar. it really all depends on the way the game progresses. you'll find a lot of ways to handle assist as you play more and more players.

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkpaladin12 View Post
    but if i want to counter the assist with my own assist to get out of it then use sacred cross because of it's speed to get to the opponents assist(if the opponent is fast such as squall) then they will just hit me with another bravery attack and i might as well be in the same position as i was before i got hit with the assist in the first place
    Paladin has high DEF for a reason. Inflicting Assist Lock is a core part of Cecil's game. However, I'll admit that against opponent's who can cover their Assist extremely well with damaging attacks (Prishe, Ultimecia, Squall, Lightning), this is a terrible tradeoff.

To add onto what Garuga said, Sacred Cross is Paladin's safest attack on whiff if spaced correctly. But remember, it is not a poke. In some situations you're better off trying to land hits than trying to keep up on the Assist game. Otherwise, you risk giving the opponent opportunities to pressure, build Assist, and obtain EX Cores. Dark Flame and punishes are good for this. In matchups that require Paladin, you're better off switching forms at the beginning and risking a hit rather than pressing your luck with defensive play to build meter.

One method for Paladin to build meter is Precision Jumping, dash canceling, and then ending with Sacred Cross or Descent Speed Boost. Ground Dash is another option and works especially well against aerial opponents, in which case you dash past to them to create more space. While this method allows Cecil to build meter without attacking often, he can't use it as well as other characters because he lacks a safe attack to disable Assist decay. In my experience, Paladin is best off approaching with about one bar and comboing to an Assist that bypasses 2 bars, such as Aerith. Heavy Depletion complements this wonderfully.

Dark Knight builds at a good pace but unsafely. Cecil generally needs Paladin to land hits and all attacks that switch him from DK to PAL are Assist punishable. So going into DK just to build meter is practically suicide.

Cecil has no foolproof method around this weakness in his gameplay. You just have to weigh your options at any given time and go with the most rewarding.

Spoiler:

Gil

thanks for all the help you guys i will be using your advice and one day become the best^^ so thanks for the help with that.

Mains-