Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

How is this move called...

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How is this move called...

Potion Dealer
    Gil

Default How is this move called...

How is this move called and how does it work?
    Im talking about staying in place in the air utilizing an air dash
    it sounds like theres a block too
    it looks awesome but in the in depth mechanics guide i found nothing

EDIT: since this thread went a little bit off topic (not that it wasnt entertaining) i decided compile a bit of information

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
    I think you're probably talking about what we'd normally call Dash Feinting. Sadly, the video in that thread doesn't work, but it still has some good stuff in it.

Also, pretty much any recentish videos from our official channel is likely to have some dash feinting in it, especially if Dart is playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWingedAngel View Post
    Ya cookies is right,it is dash feinting. It is basically canceling your dash with a block and then canceling your block with a dash.If you put in street fighter terms,your galloping between triangle and R .If you have assist boost on dash equipped and your relatively good at it,it is a safe option to build some assist bar.It is also used as a great pressure tool,and mind games.I wouldn't advise integrating it into your gameplay until you are fairly confident that you can do it consistently without dropping it.If not you will be punished severely lmfao.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellos View Post
    Additionally, combining dash feinting with Exdeath's hp attack feints make for an incredible assist builder.

Shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OlhxPbsmNc
    (This is probably the scariest Exdeath I have ever witnessed play)

This player knows his stuff.

Previously I only used the frame where you can cancel exdeaths moves by dodging, but this opened my eyes because it also uses the assist gauge up dash as well, adding assist and saving time (dashing instead of dodging.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrest View Post
    Probably the most satisfying mechanic in 012 to master.

From a block you have 5f to cancel into a dash by tapping and holding R then triangle/X. Takes a bit of practice to get right but its great as a tool to psych out opponents when you get it down.
    Last edited by RF1T2; 12-28-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Gil

I think you're probably talking about what we'd normally call Dash Feinting. Sadly, the video in that thread doesn't work, but it still has some good stuff in it.

Also, pretty much any recentish videos from our official channel is likely to have some dash feinting in it, especially if Dart is playing.

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by RF1T2 View Post
    and how does it work?
    Im talking about staying in place in the air utilizing an air dash
    it sounds like theres a block too
    it looks awesome but in the in depth mechanics guide i found nothing
    Ya cookies is right,it is dash feinting. It is basically canceling your dash with a block and then canceling your block with a dash.If you put in street fighter terms,your galloping between triangle and R .If you have assist boost on dash equipped and your relatively good at it,it is a safe option to build some assist bar.It is also used as a great pressure tool,and mind games.I wouldn't advise integrating it into your gameplay until you are fairly confident that you can do it consistently without dropping it.If not you will be punished severely lmfao.
    originally posted by X-zone "We get a Dissidia 3? I'll be aaaaall over that, repping bashbrothas, whatever. "

Potion Dealer
    Gil

Probably the most satisfying mechanic in 012 to master.

From a block you have 5f to cancel into a dash by tapping and holding R then triangle/X. Takes a bit of practice to get right but its great as a tool to psych out opponents when you get it down.

Gil

Haha, i remembered it was fun to use this to annoy my freinds on ad-hoc, quite a few of them got annoyed when i did it with WoL because of the repeated metallic sound he makes when he does block-dashes. TBH although its fun to do, it's not really that useful, the assist building is around the same as using attacks and dodging and no matter how good you get at doing it, we are still human so you will still occasionally mess up and a good opponent can punish you heavily (Remember that crit rate is 100% during recovery of an unconnected block)

Block dodges on the other hand are a little more useful, sometimes you will get free unexpected blocks and even if you accidentally block-dodge a HP attack you will still escape unharmed (although the game will display defense-crush). It's also easier than Blashing since you don't have to do it repeatedly.

Unfortunately, although i can still do it easily on PSP thanks to muscle memory i guess, i can't do it as consistently on a PS3 controller while playing on PPSSPP. I'm not sure if it's because the timing is different while using a controller on PPSSPP or if it's just something to do with me.

Edit: i also have difficulty with jecht's brave attacks on PPSSPP, but when i try it on PSP i can do it perfectly every time, so maybe there is some differences in timing when comparing PPSSPP to PSP.
    Last edited by TheEmden; 12-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.

The cold-blooded Knight Mogstache's Avatar
    Gil

I don't agree. It is almost impossible to fail this tech in a lagless environment once you get used to it, honestly. Also, saying it's "not really useful" is wrong too. Not only does it help the lower tier characters such as Laguna, Bartz, CoD to build Assist reliably, it also gives a great pressuring tool for a lot of characters, the most obvious ones being Prishe, OK, Tidus, Zidane, Light..... while still giving free AST.

What makes blodging so good is that you can do it everytime without risking a punish so it can only give you advantages, not to mention it can fake guard crushes, thus making Emperor's Flares useless if used correctly, or basically any projectile that isn't Mid Priority (you can't do that with Light's Watera but you can do it with Terra's Blizzard /Meltdown).

I can also assure you there's no difference in the timing when switching to a PS3 controller, at least for me. If you can blodge, you should be able to dash cancel since the timing is the same.

Fun fact : it is possible to cancel a block with a summon, requiring the same timing as before.
    Last edited by Mogstache; 12-23-2015 at 04:33 PM.
    "I once killed a hundred knights single-handedly... To me, you two are nothing more than insects."
    Spoiler:

Old Team

Wonderful signatures made by Galadin!

Gil

Mog just pretty much stole that shit outta my mouth lol
    originally posted by X-zone "We get a Dissidia 3? I'll be aaaaall over that, repping bashbrothas, whatever. "

Gil

Actually my point was that no matter how good you get at it, there is a chance that you may screw up a block dash and get punished so you reiterate my point. Yes sure, i agree that blashing is a solid pressure tool and yea it certainly helps characters who lack decent pokes, but at the same time it does have it's risks and it's not like you can't win without it, that's why i said it's not essential (My wording in the previous post probably wasn't the best), but at the same time i didn't say it's useless

Isn't that exactly what i said with regards to blodging haha? Oh and i actually found out just only that my controller is probably broken, i kept going spastic while GTA and checked the control panel, it showed my analog stick's deadzone is messed up and my buttons tend to stick. all the while i though it was something to do with PPSSPP or my hands not being used to playing dissidia with a controller, so disregard what i said about the timing stuff.

I didn't actually know summons cancel a failed block, although i don't usually play with summon so it's understandable haha.

The cold-blooded Knight Mogstache's Avatar
    Gil

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmden View Post
    Isn't that exactly what i said with regards to blodging haha?
    It is, I was just precising a few of its uses, mainly saying it is a GOOD thing to blodge an HP attack and that doing it repeatedly is still the best thing to do

Actually my point was that no matter how good you get at it, there is a chance that you may screw up a block dash and get punished so you reiterate my point.
    I don't agree with that.

Yes sure, i agree that blashing is a solid pressure tool and yea it certainly helps characters who lack decent pokes, but at the same time it does have it's risks
    Except it theorically doesn't have any risks.

It's not like you can't win without it, that's why i said it's not essential (My wording in the previous post probably wasn't the best), but at the same time i didn't say it's useless
    I completely disagree with this statement. I do believe that at the highest level of play, everything you can add to your gameplay to make a matchup better can be the difference between win or loss, therefore Dash Cancelling could very well be absolutely necessary to win at a very high level (which might not have been reached by the community considering the game's lived only 4 years, half of them having inactivity periods, which is nothing compared to games like Street Fighter or Smash). Even now I can hardly see how you can win against top players with EXDeath or Prishe without it. Considering the fact it is (theorically if you want) risk-free, it is a feature that has to be implemented in one's gameplay to win consistently.
    "I once killed a hundred knights single-handedly... To me, you two are nothing more than insects."
    Spoiler:

Old Team

Wonderful signatures made by Galadin!

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by mogstache
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEmden
    Actually my point was that no matter how good you get at it, there is a chance that you may screw up a block dash and get punished so you reiterate my point.
    I don't agree with that.
    I would actually agree with this statement and this statement only. You can practice and practice all you want, but sometimes you will drop even the most simple and basic things. Pros in fighting games drop things all the time. Even the most simplest techniques can be messed up without realizing it, even if you practice and used it hundreds of times prior without ever messing up. Human error is always a factor.

However the point stands that it IS essential for many characters and while you may end up dropping it one day by some reason, the reward for using this technique far far far far far FAR outweighs any negative factors.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast