Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
No Purchase, No Magic run!

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Purchase, No Magic run!

Gil

Default No Purchase, No Magic run!

Just recently, I decided to start a new run, where I restrict myself. So far, I just got to the Dreadnought (where I'm supposed to rescue the princess).
    I haven't seen any videos of people doing my kind of run, so I figured someone might be interested to take up this challenge. Here are the rules...

You are required to play the 20th anniversary version of Final Fantasy II, meaning you must be playing the PSP version or newer ports after that (including Playstation Network, IOS, or Android). Use an emulator if you want, how you play is none of my business. :P

What you CANNOT do:
    1. Buy consumables, equipment, or tomes. Basically, you can't purchase a single thing.
      • You can spend gil on the inn, ferry rides, and airship rides. Those are fine.
    2. Equip your characters with ANY tomes.
      • You can, however, equip ONLY your 4th party member with Teleport/Warp. It CANNOT be equipped on Firion, Maria, or Guy.
    3. Attack your own teammates. That is a cheap way to get stronger.
    4. Use cheats, hacks, or take advantage of any bugs. I can't stress this enough. NO CHEAP WINS!

What you CAN do:
    1. Flee from battles like normally.
    2. Use Tomes as items IN BATTLE ONLY.
      • You can't use Swap Tomes. Many people abuse Swap to gain higher stats.
    3. Pick up treasures along the way, like any normal game.
    4. Go in the Arcane Labyrinth dungeons as many times as you want.
      • That means you can clear the Arcane Labyrinth many times to get exlusive items, tomes, and weapons, if you want to.
    5. Pretty much everything else that's normal to do in the game.
      • Yes, that includes using the Blood Sword. That's your reward for your efforts in getting that far into the game.

So, uh... What do you guys think?
    ================================================== ===================
    Wanna see the most awesome Kingdom Hearts meme in history? Click spoiler.

Spoiler:

Paladin of Light Aegis Runestone's Avatar
    Gil

I think you're committing in-game suicide. That sounds near impossible. O_o, especially considering how difficult FF2 is.
    -Aegis Runestone-
    Thank you, Galadin, for the awesome avatar!
    My Quests! [US] Feedback is appreciated! - My Dissidia Forums Sprite Comics!
    The Runestone Library - My Story Thread here!

Spoiler:

Thanks for helping me with the text format, Galadin!

Gil

It's supposed to be challenging, yeah. But I made it to the Dreadnought so far. If I wanted to make it even harder, I'd ban the use of Teleport/Warp completely. :P

Spoiler:

Gil

It didn't sound hard until I realized that you have no way to mitigate damage except gear and no way to heal between Minwu's departure and picking up the Blood Sword except a handful of found items and inns. I found a forum LP of the Ironman run (no purchased items, no intentional grinding) and it becomes much easier as the spell list builds itself up.

I assume using Teleport as an instant death spell in battle is banned? Even though you have to re-buy it for every new fourth character, it could be built up each time. The 0%->50% accuracy change was insane.

I assume grinding is acceptable? Over-grinding bores me fast but it might be needed to have enough endurance for Deist Cavern and Mysidia Tower.

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Shihali View Post
    It didn't sound hard until I realized that you have no way to mitigate damage except gear and no way to heal between Minwu's departure and picking up the Blood Sword except a handful of found items and inns. I found a forum LP of the Ironman run (no purchased items, no intentional grinding) and it becomes much easier as the spell list builds itself up.
    You can use items you pick up along the way as a way to heal your characters. They're pretty scarce if you don't run into enough enemies, but yeah.

I assume using Teleport as an instant death spell in battle is banned? Even though you have to re-buy it for every new fourth character, it could be built up each time. The 0%->50% accuracy change was insane.
    You can't use magic in battle, I probably should have been clearer with that. You could use it as an item, though. If it insta-kills people at whatever level it's used as an item, then feel free to use them (I never actually used Teleport as an item even during a normal playthrough).

I assume grinding is acceptable? Over-grinding bores me fast but it might be needed to have enough endurance for Deist Cavern and Mysidia Tower.
    Of course! Just can't smack yourselves or spam any buggy tricks, like I said. It'll take longer to grind, but yeah you can still grind normally. Would be a good way to get some tomes that are dropped along the way, if you think about.

Spoiler:

Gil

Quote Originally Posted by DJVD View Post
    You can't use magic in battle, I probably should have been clearer with that. You could use it as an item, though. If it insta-kills people at whatever level it's used as an item, then feel free to use them (I never actually used Teleport as an item even during a normal playthrough).
    Using Teleport tomes as insta-kill items is the speedrun strat. Not being able to buy them prevents heavy use. In the normal game you only get that one Teleport tome.

From the rules as written, I thought that fourth characters who join your party knowing spells could use those freely, but nobody could learn new spells except for Teleport. Since you only get one Teleport tome, I inferred you meant that Teleport can be purchased and then immediately taught to a fourth party member and used out of battle only, unlike the found Teleport tome which can be used as a get-out-of-one-battle-free card.

Gil

Using Teleport tomes as insta-kill items is the speedrun strat. Not being able to buy them prevents heavy use. In the normal game you only get that one Teleport tome.

From the rules as written, I thought that fourth characters who join your party knowing spells could use those freely, but nobody could learn new spells except for Teleport. Since you only get one Teleport tome, I inferred you meant that Teleport can be purchased and then immediately taught to a fourth party member and used out of battle only, unlike the found Teleport tome which can be used as a get-out-of-one-battle-free card.
    That's what makes the run all the more challenging; you get only one in the game, without buying them.
    You gotta think about when you really need to use it, and how to use it.
    Oh, by the way, that wasn't entirely true. You can get multiple Teleport Tomes in the Arcane Labyrinth, if you know what you're doing.
    Last edited by DJVD; 10-29-2016 at 05:03 AM.

Spoiler:

Gil

So Iʼve done this challenge through Deist.

Semitt was just making a few attempts until everyone had enough HP to not die rapidly. I got a lucky Mythril Shield drop from the Land Turtle.

I built Mariaʼs and Firionʼs Evasion up to 2 before the Snow Cavern. I overshot a bit with Maria and she ended up at 3 inside the cave.

For the Snow Cavern and Kashuan, I had two formations. A 1-3 formation with Maria in front not taking hits and hitting back reasonably hard and everyone else in back shooting arrows or training, and a 4-0 formation with everyone except Maria double barehanded to kill bosses before they killed us. The 1-3 formation is IMO necessitated by how little damage you can afford to take. I need Maria at Evasion 6 for Mysidia Tower.

Ten floors of Kashuan -- five up five down -- was brutal. I wiped once in there when I handled the Mines fight wrong, and stumbled out half dead on the successful run. I didn't use the teleport book there because Kashuan is the only warpable dungeon for Gordon. I had to use a few potions.

After the Dreadnought, I decided to weaken the rules a little to make the challenge play smoother. I allowed myself to buy status cures, for immediate use only, and only for statuses that can be cured by the affected character's death. I'm not savescumming in dungeons because that's not how you play FF2, and round-robin deaths/revivals after Kashuan was not fun.

The Dreadnought was not as bad as I expected, but also worse. It didn't strain my endurance after a 10-floor Kashuan. But being inevitably blinded and not having enough eyedrops to even think about healing it for most of the dungeon meant some hits did get through. I wiped on the Hill Gigas fight after I couldn't land Curse while blinded, so on my next attempt I used an eyedrop on Maria and didn't have undue trouble killing him first with an all-attack formation. HP gains in FF2 PSP are way too fast.

Once I got the ship I raided Mysidia Cave for the Black Garb and Gold Hairpin. The Black Garb is just ridiculous in this run; what +10 Agi doesn't let you dodge, 40 Def will stop. Wearing that I could let some other people practice evasion.

I expected Deist to be a second Kashuan. It was far easier, so easy I used it for evasion practice. In 2-2 overworld formation, hill gigantes went down fast to the status assault. Ancient Sword + Dark Bow + Sleep Sword renders a gigas helpless. In a 1-3 formation, the Flame Bow hits hard.

Right now I've finished grinding two more Flame Bows before the Coliseum, when Captains become available as random encounters.

All in all, I'm not sold on this being a good challenge. The grinding hasn't felt excessive, but either I roll over encounters taking no damage or I get dangerously beaten up, nothing in between. Unless I want to grind a lot, and who wants to do that?

Banned
    Gil

Aptron solutions is one of the Best Java 6 Months Project based Industrial Training in Delhi,the most popular programming languages institute in Delhi NCR, specially for client-server web applications with a reported 9 million developers.James Gosling was originally developed this language at Sun Microsystems (Which has since been acquired by Oracle Corporation) and in 1995 it was released as a core component of Sun Microsystems' Java platform. Java training center in Noida has strong support for web development and designing too.

Potion Dealer
    Gil

Aptron delhi giving you the best android training in delhi.It is one of the summer training companies in delhi which provide you the real time and advance level training from the professional Experts.They provide training not only in android but also on all the advance level technologies of IT which are booming in the market.Aptron provides you the android training companies in delhi that helps you to enhance your skills.Mentors of android training in Delhi helps in major project training, minor project training, live project preparation, interview preparation and job placement support.Aptron delhi helps you to extend your abilities.Enhance your skills by taking the summer internship companies in delhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast