Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

[Guide] Tips for customizing forum profiles

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Tips for customizing forum profiles

ghost
    Gil

Default [Guide] Tips for customizing forum profiles

Hey there, bored Kaya here. As you might know, the new forum layout sports a new, very fun feature: Profile Customization! You can start customizing by pressing this button while viewing your profile.

However! When customizing your profile, you should be careful to not make the text too hard to read (unless you're like a certain troll around here :3), and you should make it generally pleasant to look at (unless you want to burn the eyes of the poor souls that happen to stumble upon your profile). This guide is to help you with these things.

BACKGROUND
    You can choose to have a plain, solid color background or have an image in it. If you wish to use a large image and want to make sure it fits the profile, keep in mind that the width of the forum is 1000px. So you want to make your picture 1000px wide if you don't want to have it tile horizontally but still want it to show in its entirety.

It was found out that very long pictures get resized. It seems the limit without getting the picture resized is 1500px of height, but someone reported that their picture was getting resized down to 1000px... I'm not sure why that happens.

If you'd like your background to tile smoothly like this, click here for my guide on making simple tiled backgrounds.

TABLES
    This is an important part if you want to keep the text readable, as they are where the text is located. But they'll block your background if you're using an image! What do?
    Simple, there's a way of making the tables semi-transparent. You'll need an image editing software that supports transparency, though.

How to make tables semi-transparent:
    Make a new, transparent file in your image editor. Fill the layer with any color you want for the background of your tables, then lower the opacity of the layer (I find that 60% works the best, as it's the lowest I could get it at without making the text hard to read). Resize the image to 1x1px (so it loads fast) and save it as a .png. Upload it and get the Direct Link. Then edit your profile, set the background of your tables to None and set the Repeat to Both, and replace transparent with url(IMAGE_LINK)

COLORS
    This is what decides if the profile burns people's eyes or not, and a good, consistent color scheme can make things much better.

Picking a color scheme:
    Unless you intend to fill your profile with rainbows, don't pick random, different colors for everything. I suggest that you pick up to 4 different colors and assign them to general elements of the page (regular text, links, table backgrounds, table borders). Also, picking matching colors really does wonders. If you're using an image background, I highly recommend picking colors from the image to make your profile theme consistent.

Picking color shades:
    This is very, very important to prevent eye burning and unreadable text. The color/shade of the text and links should contrast with the color of the background in order to not make it hard to read. So if you're using a dark background, pick light shades for the text and links (and vice versa).
    Right. But there's something more. For the love of Cosmos, don't pick pure colors! And by that, I mean sliding the color picker to the top-right most. They don't look natural to the eye and are often too vivid. Here, let me show a chart illustrating what I just said.

And that's all, I think... If you have any questions related to profile customizing or suggestions of things I should explain and other stuff, feel free to post. :3
    Last edited by Kayarine; 11-25-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Gil

Nice guide, I got it working for my profile btw haha without the guide, just with the advice u told me

Thanks and good job!

I think this should be stickied imo, people have been asking on how to do this
    "Formally known as BEYNd"
    PSN ID: Le-Al

Dave... wheres my 1$ ?

Gil

Stickied! Nice job Kayarine ^-')b
    [Final Fantasy XIII Trophy Progress] 100%

Gil

Thanks for the guide, Kaya! I took a guess at how you got the semi-transparent boxes and I was right. Maybe if you're looking for things to add to the guide, you can include what specific things modify your profile, such as "Module Background," "Active Link Text," etc. I know it was a lot of trial and error on my part figuring out what was what. XD By no means is it necessary, but it might be nice to have if you think it's a good idea.

My Fan Art | My Graphics | My deviantART | My Youtube | My Replays
    Mercenary Score: 2800 | Graphickers Score: 390 SP/270 AP

Gil

This was really helpful but.. how do you make it transparent D: Thats the only thing I want to fix on my profile :x

ghost
    Gil

You need something like Photoshop or GIMP to be able to save the transparent png needed to make the box transparent. If you don't have it, I'll happily make it for you. Just tell me what colors you want.

@Aevi: I probably won't do that. Would need a lot of large screenshots and stuff. ._. Maybe whenever I'm bored, I guess.

FlowerMaiden♥
    Gil

OMG, thank you Kaya mainly for stating to not pick pure colours. They burn your eyes alright T_T;; I've been meaning to make a profile BG for ages, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for this Kaya! And even though this is Graphics shouldn't we put it in the technical part of the forums or something? Only because it's a help guide and I think it's pretty important. 8D
    This day will never come again, so let me have this moment.

// YOUTUBE || PSN ID || TUMBLR || INSTAGRAM \\

ghost
    Gil

No problem~ And yeah, I've seen someone's profile that consisted of pure rainbow colors. My eyes almost exploded. D= Which is part of the reason I was emphasizing on that so much. =p

Well, to be honest, I wasn't sure where this should've went. XD I know most people don't check the graphics section, though, so maybe this thread could benefit from a section change.

FlowerMaiden♥
    Gil

Hahaha! Rainbow colours, who is this troll?!

<3 Yeah that's what I figured too, I think it'll get more attention in another section but don't worry. I would've put it here too. And just a quick question, you can't edit in width? D: I mean I did an image that should be the width of the background but when I upload it it minimizes it D: So far I've only been able to make an image that's 1000x1000 pixels. D:
    This day will never come again, so let me have this moment.

// YOUTUBE || PSN ID || TUMBLR || INSTAGRAM \\

Gil

Thanks Kayarine I love my profile now ^-')b

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast