Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
[Guide] Tips for customizing forum profiles - Page 3

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Tips for customizing forum profiles

Gil

Not entirely, I was thinking of just getting it to position itself a few pixels into the next image. But I might just edit the image.

Advent Hero
    Gil

When I click that customize button nothing happens. Only thing different is the top banner turns grey.

ghost
    Gil

Use a browser that isn't Google Chrome.

Advent Hero
    Gil

I'm using Safari

ghost
    Gil

Well, then try using Internet Explorer. It's probably a browser-specific issue.

Advent Hero
    Gil

SO IE is guaranteed to work?

ghost
    Gil

From the few reports we got from people, yes.

Advent Hero
    Gil

Ok thanks!

ghost
    Gil

TILED BACKGROUNDS
    Finally someone has asked me about tiled backgrounds! So here's my guide to get a simple tiled image. I'll try to make it fairly detailed so even beginners at Photoshop can do it! (However, I'll assume you know the basic of the basics like creating new files, cropping and layers.)

(As a side note, I'll be using Adobe Photoshop CS3 for this guide. Options required for these steps may vary if you're using other image editing software.)

I'll be using this image for this guide.

Step 1. Make a new file. If you're doing this for a forum profile background, set the width to 1000px and height to whatever will accomodate the image. Crop/resize the image as you see fit, move it around so the characters in the background is located exactly where you want, etc etc etc. Here's how I cropped and moved my image: (I resized all images used to illustrate this guide for the sake of your connection.)

Step 2. Duplicate the image (right-click on the layer in the Layer Palette and select "Duplicate Layer") and drag it to the bottom. Make sure to have some of this layer covering a reasonable amount of the layer under it. Don't be too stingy with the amount you cover, the more space you cover, the smoother the transition between the edges of the image will be.

Step 3. Add a Layer Mask to this layer. (Click on the button the red arrow is pointing to while the top layer is selected.)

Step 4. Grab the Gradient Tool (right-click on the Paint Bucket Tool if you don't see it in your toolbar.)

Make sure your gradient is set to black to white and the pattern is linear (as shown below.)

Now, double check to see if the layer mask is selected (it should have a little frame around it in the Layer Palette.) Here's a basic explanation of how layer masks work: All white parts on the layer mask will make the picture visible. Likewise, all black parts on the mask will become invisible.

Use the Gradient Tool by clicking where the top edge of the duplicate layer is and dragging it all the way to the bottom of the image:

If you do it correctly, the result should be this:

Alternative step: If your image editor doesn't have layer masks, you can do the job by using a large soft brush to erase the layer and accomplish a similar result to this.

Step 5. Create a new layer (click on the button the arrow is pointing to) on top of everything, then go to Image > Apply Image to put everything currently visible in a single layer. (It's like merging the layers themselves, but this way you get to keep the original layers in case you have to tweak something later.)

Step 6. Now that you have your newly applied image, duplicate this layer and move it to the top this time. You must align the bottom of this duplicate with the image underneath it so it tiles correctly. Be especially careful to not leave it misaligned! Lower the opacity (then increase it back once you're done) and zoom in if you're having trouble with putting it in the right place. If you do it right, you should have something like this:

Step 7. Make a new layer and apply the image again. Duplicate this new layer and move it to the bottom. The procedure is the same as the previous step, make sure to align it correctly and all that. You Layer Palette should be looking like this by now: (Remember to hide the unnecessary layers by clicking on the eye icon on the left side.)

Step 8. Once you've positioned everything nicely, left-click on the top layer's thumbnail while holding the Ctrl key. This should give you a dashed line around it.

Now click on the layer below it (the one which has the full image) and press Backspace or the Delete key (for me it's backspace, but I think it's delete for some people.) This will get rid of the selected area. You can either hide or delete the top-most layer to make this newly created hole visible.

Step 9. Left-click while holding Ctrl on the thumbnail of the current layer to select it. Now go to Image > Crop to get rid of that empty space at the bottom.

You can stop here if you're content with how the image looks like. But at this point you can also move the layer around if you're unhappy with the gradient bit at the top of the image. Just move it, duplicate the layer and move it so it covers the newly empty space. I did this to get the following result:

You can now merge all layers and save your picture. If you did everything correctly, the image should tile smoothly when you use it as a tiled background: Click for example

If you know how to really use your image editor and add different colors to images, you can apply them now to make the image softer to use as a background, to keep it from being too contrasting and making text difficult to read. Click for example
    Last edited by Kayarine; 11-25-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Gil

I just realised/discovered that for those who use Gimp there's actually an option that automatically blurs pictures so that they tile better.

It's under Filters>Blur>Tileable Blur

It's pretty handy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast