Alrighty, so here’s those rules we’ve all been waiting for! Keep in mind that these rules aren’t exactly the set in stone rules for every tournament following. We’ll have many different tournaments with many different rule sets, just to give each one variety. However, these rules are set in stone for this tournament, so bickering about them is just a waste of time. Okay, here we go!
Basic Element Restriction
- Infinites are not allowed. They’re typically not even welcome on DF
- No Equipment can be worn. You can wear accessories that increase non-statistical elements, like a Chocobo Feather or Mog’s Amulet, but nothing else. This also includes not wearing anything that gives you a second chance like the Phoenix items. Basically, don't wear anything, just to be on the safe side
- No Summons are allowed. Win a battle with your wits alone, with no help from others!
- No “Exp to” Abilities are allowed. They can give a nearly match-toppling bonus when used in conjunction with Time Traveling and Special Days, as well as the Chocobo Bonus.
- No Ex-Bursts allowed. If you don’t know why, check around DF a little and you’ll see
- Ex-Guards are allowed. You can activate Ex-Mode while being attacked to stagger your opponent, however…
- Ex-Counter is not allowed. You cannot attack after using an Ex-Guard. Instead take this moment to recover and formulate a strategy
- Ex-Cancels are allowed. Certain characters can cancel out their current action by sacrificing the move into Ex-Mode. Use it wisely guys!
One last thing! Since people have been wondering about it, if you launch an attack...let's say...Emperor's Flare, and you Ex-Guard to stagger the opponent, and the Flare creeps up and hits them while they are still staggering, that's perfectly fine. I like to refer to those as "Lucky Shots." In such an instant, just be aware of your opponent's Ex-Level and what's happening on the field.
Please take note of these rules, as any breaking or bending of them will result in a LOSE for that Battle, or cause for immediate disqualification. And we wouldn’t want that now, would we? If an Ex-Burst or Ex-Counter is an accident, the players can redo the match if they both agree. If an agreement cannot be reached, the battle counts as a loss for the player who committed the restricted action.
Battle Setup Restriction
- Character Swapping is allowed between each round of a match-up. Choose wisely
- All fights take place on a Random Battlefield unless both players can agree to one for each round
- No Deific Judgment is allowed. Win by the seat of your pants or not at all!
- The victor of the match-up is the first player to get TWO WINS out of up to three rounds. The Finals require THREE WINS out of five rounds
The official start of the Dissidence tournament is September 25. From then, you have FOUR (4) days to complete your match-up. Now, from RIGHT NOW, you can contact your opponent to set up a solid date (if you both know your schedules well enough in advance), just to get things set up early enough. Once the second round match-ups have been posted, you can again contact your opponent to set your Battle Date. Doing so allows us all enough chance to get our fights in, without much hassle.
Another good way to go about setting up your matches is to chat with your opponent through DF's chatbox in real-time, that way you both know when and where to battle. Also, be sure to pick a lobby on Adhoc Party without a lot of traffic on it, and be sure to CLOSE THE DOOR so that random people don't come in and accidentally crash your games.
Double Elimination - Your Second Chance
Even if you lose, you're not down for the count! After losing a match, you'll be sent to the Loser's Bracket, where you can compete again for the top spot of the non-winners. All rules apply, but you can also choose to accept your initial defeat, if you want.
When a match up is completed, the winner will post the results in the format used in this example...
Belts0091 vs NeroMD Battle Results
Round 1 = Squall vs Tidus - Winner TIDUS (NeroMD)
Round 2 = Jecht vs Cloud - Winner JECHT (Belts0091)
Round 3 = Jecht vs Tidus - Winner TIDUS (NeroMD)
Winner ~ NeroMD
...this will be posted on a special "Battle Results thread" for all to see. If a problem arises with the results (eg contesting a loss) can be addressed there. A separate "Battle Results Discussion thread" will be made for users to discuss the progress of the tournament. The winner must also submit the replay (converted into low quality) of the Decisive Battle (In the above case, Nero would submit the replay of the Jecht vs Tidus round) to DFFreplays@gmail.com. Be sure to title the replay file with the players, who they used, and who the winner was. We will then compile the replays on youtube so everyone else can see them!
**!! SAVE BATTLE REPLAYS !!**It is not required of you to convert and upload them to youtube unless there is a problem with the Battle Report. Any need to contest the outcome of a battle must be accompanied by evidence to support your claim. If no evidence is given, no ruling can be made! However, to reduce the need for such, let’s all play like honorable warriors and accept our fates.
The Big Three and the Oxymora
The “Big Three” and the “Oxymora” all receive a special title regarding their placing in the tournament and the character they represent. The first place winner also receives the Champion of Dissidence merit which can be displayed in your DF signature.
The titles themselves are my secret, and may not reflect the ones that Nero posted (since some of those are really just making fun :P). The title you receive is based on which of your three characters accrued you the most wins. So by using the Battle Report above as an example, Nero has two wins with his Tidus. If that trend continues, he will get a Tidus title if he wins a top spot. This gives more incentive to us to actually try harder with our mains, subbing in a reinforcement on battles you know they may not last.
Aim for the BIG THREE everyone, and good luck to us all!
Any questions, just let me know...