Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most iconic themes in pop culture?

Gil

Default Most iconic themes in pop culture?

Just wondering what everyone thinks is the most popular/best song/theme ever.

I'd have to say my vote goes to the original Mortal Kombat theme.

Remember: December 2011

Gil

My vote would probably go to the Super Mario (first level) theme. That's iconic to a lot of people in our generation being the first really big game for the start of the home consoles.

Though apart, forever connected.

Above sig courtesy of Kayarine, sigs in spoilers courtesy of Kurayami and Waffles.
    Spoiler:

Banned

Gil

Spoiler:

Overexploited to a point it turned completely unlistenable to me.
    Last edited by Narolf; 04-26-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Gil

Well i was gonna say it about the first post but now i REALLY have to say it.
    Thats POP??????

I mean, if you mean VGM culture, yeah u can make a 200 page long thread on that. but i mean, is it pop or is it VGM?
    i mean iconic in my eyes is one winged angel or metal gear solids boss battle theme. i don't even know what it's called, but when you hear that you just wanna stealthily run up and kick someones ass, whilst avoiding the ninja with camo gear and a sword XD
    Or iconic is the MGS death theme, yes its varied over the years but as u hear the beginning, you just get to that part at the end of the dramatic volume to hear "FAIL" lol. just like in virtual missions :P[COLOR="Silver"]
    Yume Wo Dakishimeru

Banned

Gil

Well i was gonna say it about the first post but now i REALLY have to say it.
    Thats POP??????
    First, metagame, now pop culture? Com'on dude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_culture

Popular culture (commonly known as pop culture) is the totality of ideas, perspectives, attitudes, images and other phenomena that are deemed preferred through an informal consensus within the mainstream of a given society. Popular culture is heavily influenced by the mass media and permeates the everyday life of many people.
    _

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Narolf; 04-26-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Gil

Yes but some would say nowadays, mortal kombat has a theme?
    It is a very old movie although the gaming franchise has been going strong for a while now.
    i dont need a lesson in what it means, but when u start saying mario, i think VGM. Pop is ur snow patrols and your rihannas and all that.
    If you wanna really start getting into meanings, society is however you view it, its not just a general consesus on what is pop, whats popular culture with chavs isnt with the emos. What is with the rappers, isnt with the country lovers.
    Justin beiber is pop only because its popular culture to wanna smash his face in with a spade just like twilight boy. How girls think they are nice looking i will never know. slightly offtopic there....>_>
    Yume Wo Dakishimeru

Gil

It doesn't matter if they are games are not because of the simple fact that they were so popular that they grabbed the attention of millions and became part of what it meant to grow up or be part of society during a certain time period.

Mortal Kombat was THE arcade game to play back in the day. People would line up and waste millions of quarters just to figure out everyone's fatality. Mortal Kombat alone is why we have the ESRB rating system. Movies theaters were packed when the movie came out.

Mario itself is a world wide sensation that has grabbed the hearts of EVERYONE. It's like the McDonalds of video games. Everyone knows who Mario is.

Final Fantasy though, we might think it is popular and hot stuff, it has not become big enough to become part of our culture. More people are likely to point out the Italian in overalls or recognize "GET OVER HERE" over, say, Sephiroth or "Lets Mosey"

Remember: December 2011

Banned

Gil

Yes but some would say nowadays, mortal kombat has a theme?
    Everyone already heard MK's theme once in their life, even if they don't give a damn about the franchise and all. That makes it part of the popular culture.

Emo, rap, metal and whatnots are sub-cultures, just like gaming. And the most known elements of said cultures form mainstream, the popular culture.

_

Spoiler:

_

Final Fantasy though, we might think it is popular and hot stuff, it has not become big enough to become part of our culture.
    +1

FF remains rather hardcore, it's not that popular.
    Last edited by Narolf; 04-27-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Gil

Well theyve put one winged angel as a pre warm up to iron maiden going on stage. But then some people dunno who iron maiden or metallica are, would you consider them not pop? It just depends who you are and where your from.
    I couldn't name one word in any lady gaga, lily allen or oasis or watever u maybe consider mainstream pop song, why, coz it makes my ears bleed to hear it. I couldnt name any pop song that is actually a dance track, coz thats terrible too, but it is infact pop. even if u may consider it a sub genre, theres enough people that listen to dance music to make that in itself make up enough people for it to be viewed as "society". The MK thing is just me saying, how can u class pop, sure for people like us who grew up seeing mortal kombat or blade, these themes are common to us, but we aren't in that generation anymore that determines whats popular culture. If i was, i'd demand gaga be shot and katie price never to be in magazine or tv show again and dance shows to be replaced by like friends. Yes thats getting old too, but im sick of cooking shows and reality shows like "come dine with me" and dancing shows. Its like dragonforce, alright in small doses but too much and it makes u want to stab ur own ears.
    Yume Wo Dakishimeru

Banned

Gil

And the unskippable...

Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast